If you are a landlord leasing your property, you must protect your investment from any possible losses or damages. Landlords should know the risks involved and the need for suitable coverage. So, what type of coverage do landlords need? Here is a guide to help you understand what type of insurance you need as a landlord.

Homeowner Policy vs. Landlord Coverage

A homeowner policy protects homeowners’ financial interests while occupying their primary residences. This policy covers a wide range of potential threats, such as damage to the home, personal liability, and theft protection. For rental property owners, landlord coverage offers an assortment of coverages. Landlord coverage is ideal for people who rent out their properties since it meets the unique needs of landlords. It provides more in-depth coverage than standard homeowner policies as it protects property owners against tenant damages and loss of rental income.

When protecting your property, having the right insurance coverage is important. In some cases, not having the correct landlord policy can negate your homeowner’s policy if the insurance company has not been notified that the property is being used as a rental.

Landlord coverage typically includes liability protection for accidents or injuries that may occur on the property and coverage for loss of rental income. Homeowner policies may also offer liability protection but may not cover damage caused by a tenant or loss of rental income.

Converting a Homeowner’s Policy

When you decide to rent your property, contact your current insurance agent and ask that your current homeowner’s policy be converted to a rental one. This coverage protects your rental property against damages or losses from fire, theft, vandalism, or weather-related events. If there is a natural disaster or an unexpected event, property coverage will compensate the landlord for repairs, costs, or the property’s actual value if totaled. You can also add coverage to protect valuable items within your rental property, such as appliances and furniture. This coverage usually does not extend to your tenant’s personal belongings.

Business Liability Coverage

Another crucial type of insurance for landlords is liability coverage for your personal and business assets. Landlords are exposed to significant liability risks, including accidents or injuries, resulting from neglect or failure to perform obligations. Liability coverage protects if a tenant or guest gets injured while on your property. It also provides the necessary protection if the tenant decides to sue you, which often happens in slip-and-fall accidents and similar incidents.

Loss of Rent Rider

Loss of Rent coverage is landlord insurance that compensates when your rental property is uninhabitable. You will receive a fair rental value for the period the property is being repaired. As a landlord, you should factor in the potential loss of rental income when seeking insurance coverage. The loss of rent coverage ensures you do not suffer from financial losses due to uninhabitable properties.

Legal Expense Protection

Finally, Legal expense coverage is an optional policy landlords use when defending themselves against legal claims filed by tenants or other parties. Landlords can file for legal coverage if they face eviction proceedings, discrimination, harassment, or any other legal issue that may arise with tenants.


Landlords need different types of insurance coverage to protect their investments from different scenarios. Property coverage, liability coverage, loss of rent coverage, and legal expense coverage protect landlords from any risks arising from renting out their properties. Working with a reputable insurance provider specializing in landlord insurance is vital to ensure you get the right coverage for your needs. As a landlord, ensuring appropriate coverage gives you peace of mind and safeguards your property and finances.

Call Us Now